David Sanders gave a detailed Julia tutorial at SciPy 2014. Watch these videos and download the relevant IJulia notebooks.
We recorded a number of
videos as part of the
Julia tutorial at MIT in January 2013. Slides and other
material from the
tutorial are available on GitHub.
Julia in the classroom
Julia is ready for the classroom. We encourage instructors to participate in the Julia community resources for questions about Julia or specific packages.
Classes using Julia for teaching
Julia is now being used in several university courses in North America. If you know of other classes using Julia for teaching, please submit a pull request to update this list..
City University of New York, Spring 2014
Cornell University, Spring 2014
- CS 5220, Applications of Parallel Computers (Prof. David Bindel)
MIT, Spring 2014
- 18.330, Introduction to Numerical Analysis (Dr. Homer Reid)
- 15.S60, Software Tools for Operations Research (Iain Dunning)
- 15.083, Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (Prof. Juan Pablo Vielma)
Pennsylvania State University, Spring 2014
- ASTRO 585, High-Performance Scientific Computing for Astrophysics (Prof. Eric B. Ford)
Stanford University, Spring 2014
- AA222, Introduction to Multidisciplinary Design Optimization (Prof. Mykel J. Kochenderfer)
MIT, Fall 2013
- 18.06, Linear Algebra. (Prof. Alan Edelman)
- 18.303, Linear Partial Differential Equations: Analysis and Numerics. (Prof. Steven G. Johnson)
- 18.335J/6.337J, Introduction to Numerical Methods. (Prof. Steven G. Johnson)
- 18.337/6.338, Parallel Computing. (Prof. Alan Edelman)
Western University Canada, Fall 2013
- CS 2101A, Foundations of Programming for High Performance Computing. (Prof. Marc Moreno Maza)
MIT, Spring 2013
- 18.330, Introduction to Numerical Analysis. (Dr. Homer Reid)
For a quick introduction to Julia, see these introductory slides.
Steve Johnson maintains an excellent resource for using Julia in the classroom at MIT.
Julia binaries are available for
Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu Linux. It is also easy to build from
source on Linux, Mac, and
The Julia and IPython teams have collaborated to
develop IJulia, which
provides a powerful graphical notebook interface to Julia.
The Julia community has put together a number of
spanning multiple disciplines.
The Julia manual
The Julia manual contains a
complete introduction to the Julia language. It is available in
Portuguese translations are in